Friday, May 31, 2013

Crochet Earrings - The Gradual Shell Earrings

The Change in colour accentuates the Shell
My experiment with Knitting took me 3 months and inbetween knitting  I was crocheting headbands for my daughter. I stumbled upon a detailed video on crochet earrings and this made me search for videos on how to make crochet earrings. One video caught my eye as it used embroidery floss which I had in abundance. I tried it and it came out beautiful. It was the Wedges which I will blog later.  The best part I like about small projects is that I could finish them in an afternoon and also wear it immediately.

Voila How I loved those Wedge Earrings. It attracted many of my friends attention and I just wanted to make more. So this made me search and this One Virtuous Woman is simply awesome with her videos. I liked this simple earrings which I could crochet in an hour or two. I went shopping and bought 1.9mm hook and crochet 10 thread to make many more earrings.

The Wedges earrings is from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8X5BDn0FSs by onevirtuouswoman
or in YouTube we can search as "Tutorial Tuesday #37 Crochet Earrings ( The Gradual Shell Earrings)"

I am just replicating the steps in words. The video is detailed and anyone can crochet these earrings.

The Height can be adjusted to make it Small or Long
I used a Red  no. 10 crochet cotton thread and used 1.9 hook. I spent one of the Wonderful Wednesdays when my daughter spends extended time in her preschool in the library and just made these earrings in a jiffy and am blogging it right away. I will be going home adding my Jump ring and pair it with a red dress tomorrow. 

Here goes the tutorial's written steps
Pretty Shells
  • Crochet chain 5 into the basic slip knot. Join it into a ring using slip knot.
  • 10 sc into the ring. Ch 3 turn
Shell 1
  •  3 dc(with the 3 ch it is 4dc) into the ring, ch2, 4 dc into the ring. Turn.
Shell 2
  •  Slip stitch into the 4 dc and into the chain 2 space. ( we are moving the thread to the chain 2 space)
  • Ch 3, 3 dc(with the 3 ch it is 4dc) into the ch 2 space ,ch2, 4 dc into the same ch 2 space. Turn.





You can create as many shells you want the length of the earrings to be

Penultimate Shell
  • Slip stitch into the 4 dc and into the chain 2 space. ( we are moving the thread to the chain 2 space)
  • Ch3 ,3 dc(with the 3 ch it is 4dc) into the ch 2 space, ch4 (instead of 2ch), 4 dc into the same ch 2 space. Turn.
Last Shell
  • Slip stitch into the 4 dc and into the chain 4 space. ( we are moving the thread to the chain 4 space)
  • Ch4 , 11 tc in the chain 4 space. ch3 Turn.
  • sc in the next stitch, *ch3, sc in the next stitch* , repeat * till the end of all tc stitches. ch1 and fasten off. We can add beads in this step.
  • Weave in the ends.

Slip the jump rings into the last sc and then the earrings is ready.

Spray starch and iron them to retain shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment